And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28 KJV
When I need help making homemade mashed potatoes, my kids pitch in and we all work together as a team. My youngest son does the peeling, my littlest girl handles the washing, my oldest son works on the chopping and after I cook them, my oldest daughter does the mashing.
We work together. If we left the potatoes unchopped or unpeeled, sitting out in its own entity, untended to, there would not be a bringing together of each separate task to complete the finished project: our supper!
It’s a process. Our lives are a process too.
And that’s God’s promise to those who LOVE Him.
He will work together all the trials, problems and challenges in life for our good.
It may be immediate but a lot of the time it may not right away or ever in this lifetime. The hardest part of being transformed into Christlike person is that the peeling, washing, chopping, cooking, and mashing may not feel so great at the time. But God promises to work it out for our good. To put those separate endevours into a beautiful specialty. Namely, our souls. He promises to bring spiritual good out of all things. Our souls are everything to God, in fact, that’s why He sent Jesus to die for them.
Here’s what Joni Eareckson Tada says about how good can come from suffering:
* Suffering can cultivate a proper reverence and respect for God in our hearts.
* It helps us appreciate the sacrifice Christ made to rescue us from hell.
* It fills our hearts with gratitude to Jesus who bore our sins and who will ultimately put an end one day to sin, suffering, and sorrow.
* Suffering is the textbook that teaches us about our true selves and what is hidden in our hearts.
* Hardships increase our empathy towards others who face similar problems.
My friend, this is how God uses all things for good. It may be hard to see it as good right now but trusting that God will work good in us and bring good out of hardships can be done if we believe His word and what He promises to us.
It may look like rain clouds now but there is sunshine and growth to those who LOVE God.